Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Kelly Epperson: Success of business based on golden rule

kelly epperson color72.jpg

By Kelly Epperson, GateHouse News Service, Posted Dec 14, 2008 @ 09:38 PM

I’m in Indianapolis meeting with clients and gathering information for the book they want written. As a ghostwriter, I can’t divulge much about the people I meet or the books I write, but these guys probably won’t mind if I refer to them in the abstract.

This is a classic rags to riches story. Every such story is as individual and unique to the parties it belongs to, and this one belongs to two individuals – twins. These two gentlemen are now 76. After years of having folks tell them, “You should write a book,” they decided, what the heck, why not?

Hal and Dale (not their real names; I changed the names to protect the innocent, namely me, so I don’t get into trouble with my confidentiality contract) are a true American success story. They were born in on a farm. Their father died when they were 2, and their mother died when they were 10.

They were raised by older siblings, moved to Indy and were later drafted to serve in the Korean War. The day they shipped out was the day the war ended. Timing has continued to be on their side.

The two went into business together in the 1950s and have created a multimillion dollar empire. Their company still thrives today under the leadership and management of their sons. A grandson from the third generation has now entered the business as well.

In the 1950s, family-owned businesses were the norm. Today, they’re a rarity. Even more amazing is that there is no rivalry, feuding or power struggles among the second generation who has taken over the helm. There are tales of rock throwing and fist fights between the twins (as adults at company “board meetings”), but they always respected each other and relied on each other.

I made the comment that being in business with family is hard. Hal agreed and said, “If it was just my brother, I couldn’t do it, but he’s my twin. It’s different.”

Something else that strikes me as being different really should not, but in our corporate world today of greed and corruption, it is sad that decency actually seems different. Hal and Dale started their business practicing the golden rule, and they have it in their company brochures to this day.

Loyalty and trust are the backbones to success. Financial success takes hard work, certainly, and they put in long hours for a lot of years, but they have always operated under that one main premise: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

“It’s just common sense,” this family tells me. Sure, but common sense and common courtesy sometimes seem to be hallmarks of a bygone era. I’m not the only one who thinks so. I’m also writing a book for a powerhouse Canadian business leader who believes that the missing ingredient in today’s business management is the fact that people matter.

Hal and Dale have never lost sight of that fact. The company motto is “We Love People.”

“I stole that motto from a rental car company years ago,” Hal says.

Maybe so, but I’ve never felt loved when I was stuck waiting in line at a rental car place.

People feel loved here. Their customers, suppliers and employees are faithful; their loyalty is earned and returned. One word that keeps popping up in interviews is compassion. Empathy also seems like a lost attribute sometimes.

It’s alive and well here. Every person has a story to tell; I’m glad I get to tell theirs.

Kelly Epperson can be reached at kel_epperson@yahoo.com
or PO Box 2324 Loves Park IL 61111 or www.whenlifestinks.com. She writes for The Journal-Standard.



AddThis

Sphere: Related Content

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Brian & Sarah,
Thanks for sharing my column! I'll give your blog a shoutout in my weekly joy letter. It appears we did the same kinda stuff. :)www.whenlifestinks.com

Unknown said...

typo - we dig the same stuff.
u rock.

indyliz said...

I work for Harrel and Darrel at Cohron's Homes in Indianapolis. I have to say that they are all that Kelly has expressed and more. I have been with them for over 20 years now and have no intention of leaving. I have done the "corporate" job, but I will take family owned businesses every time...especially this one. They truly care about their employees and their families, and they care about their customers. When you get to know them, you are not too surprised they are so successful. They are genuine, caring, and considerate people that really do follow the Golden Rule.