Saturday, November 29, 2008

What are you giving thanks for?

What are you giving thanks for?

by Kevin Masterson, Los Angeles Religion & Spirituality Examiner

With all the economic challenges that so many are facing this year, most certainly many people are struggling to find something for which they are thankful for this holiday season. This is a no brainer to me. I am thankful for being so healthy. Let me tell you why.

The next person I’d like to give their fifteen minutes of fame in my series on people who have been inspirational to me are my cousin, Steve & his wife Marsa. The last time I saw Steve was four years ago at my mother’s family reunion. Most of Steve’s family had come up from Texas to attend the reunion—no small feat, as his mother, my Aunt Nancy has seven children. I hadn’t seen most of them for at least ten years so it was hard to recognize everyone. Steve put his hand out to me as he recognized me. We talked for a while that day & had a beer. His family is so warm and friendly that anyone would like to sit down & have a beer with any of them.

Several months ago, I found out from my mother that Steve had malignant melanoma and his wife, Marsa had breast cancer. She had to have a double mastectomy. As ovarian cancer runs in her family, she also had a complete hysterectomy done at the same time. They have a son who is only two years old, as well as two teenage daughters. This past year has been about going to chemo, doctor’s appointments, etc. You’d think this would leave little time for joy, but Steve held his son on his lap as he got his first haircut several months ago. Marsa’s cancer is now under control, but Steve’s has spread to his lungs.

What is most inspirational to me about Steve is his complete acceptance about his situation. He is totally at peace. He’d like to live, but he is not afraid to die. I think that is what is keeping him going. He is not resisting the flow of life. He is trusting in God’s plan for his life.

Many of us are challenged in many ways this year, but Steve & Marsa’s situation really makes me put things in perspective. Money comes & goes--as do jobs, relationships, material objects, etc. However the greatest gift that we all have that we forget is that we are alive, that we draw breath, that we have an opportunity to contribute to the upliftment of the planet.

Steve & I are lucky. If anyone is going to pull through this, it is him. We both come from strong Pennsylvania stock on our mothers’ side of the family. Our grandparents raised eight children during the depression, after my grandfather lost his construction business. Those types of life problems are temporary, but the things that really matter are family, are sticking together and helping each other. Those are the real gifts of life. You just keep on going, keep looking for the pony with all that manure around.

When times are tough, I try to develop "an attitude of gratitude.I think that it is really important this year  in particular that everyone really look at the blessings they have in their lives, to be thankful for what they have, rather than be resentful for what they feel they are lacking. With all the political chaos & economic upheaval in the world right now, it is vital to realize the commonalities that we all share: family, friends, triumphs, tragedies, goals, dreams. I’ve heard it said that “you pray to God for more, but he won’t give you more until you take care of what you’ve got.” That is what I am focusing on this Thanksgiving—what I am doing with the gifts that God has given me, what I can be grateful for, taking care of my “ten percent.”  When times are tough, I try to develop "an attitude of gratitude. Might I suggest that you consider doing the same?

I am sure Steve & Marsa & their family, his mother & all his siblings and their families will be celebrating Thanksgiving together this year, grateful to have each other, grateful for one more day of life. God Bless them. Please keep them in your thoughts & prayers during this holiday season.



AddThis
Sphere: Related Content

No comments: