Friday, November 21, 2008

A look at the top 10 inspirational sports movies

by John A. Zukowski

Photo Courtesy of Disney PicturesDenzel Washington gets up close to look over a practice in "Remember The Titans." It's one of the top ten inspirational sports movies of all time.

Not so long ago I came across something on the Beliefnet.com Web site about inspirational sports movies. There were 20 of them listed -- everything from "Rocky" to "The Mighty Ducks." They didn't rank them in any order. But it got me thinking about why some sports movies could be called inspirational.

So I came up with my own list of ten inspirational sports movies. And yeah, a few people already told me ones that shoulda been on the list. So my colleagues Dustin Schoof and KJ Franz have some choices, too.

Something many of them have in common? They're about underdogs. Nobody seems to want to see a sports movie about star athletes or a well-oiled competent team. They want to see scrappy underdogs who've been written off try to make it.



AddThis
Sphere: Related Content

No comments: