Saturday, February 7, 2009

Web site changing lives in Las Vegas

from KVBC-TV and MSNBC.com

Susana Cervera lights up when she talks about her years as a makeup artists and aesthetician.

"I love my job, I love my job. I love the makeup. I love everything related to the beauty industry," she gushes.

But her career, which spanned more than 20 years, was abruptly put on hold when she was diagnosed with colon cancer and underwent a massive surgery in 2003.

"I had a wonderful doctor that knew what he was doing. He saved my life. I'm very blessed to have (had) this surgery. Even though my life is never going to be the same, I am very happy to be here."

After her recovery, Susana desperately hoped to go back to work. But unfortunately, she couldn't afford her license. That's when she turned to ModestNeeds.org, a nationwide web-based non-profit organization whose mission it is to stop the cycle of poverty before it starts by helping families facing unexpected emergency expensed.

Located 20 miles outside the valley at the beautiful Lowes Lake Las Vegas, team members are entrusted with the difficult task of reading through thousands of applications. Committee member Mike Dickey hopes to get the word out to families living in Nevada that there is help available for them.

Meanwhile, Susana can't wait to repay the favor. She hopes to give back the best way she knows how: by using her talent to make others feel good.

Susana's story is just one of many you can read on ModestNeeds.org. You can also make a donation to the organization and choose the family you want to help.



AddThis

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: